According to Amnesty International, their report was a compilation of investigations ran from 1-3 June 2016. In the course of these investigations, they interviewed 32 witnesses and an additional 5 people on the phone. ‘’An Amnesty International researcher visited 3 hospitals in Onitsha and surrounding towns and saw 41 men being treated for gunshot wounds in the stomach, shoulder, leg, back and ankle.
The researcher also visited mortuaries in Onitsha and saw 5 corpses with bullet wounds all brought in by IPOB members on 30th May’’. Amnesty International also revealed that ‘’at least’’ 17 people were killed and nearly 50 injured, they went further to indicate that ‘’the exact number of deaths is unknown, partly due to fact that the Nigerian army took away corpses and the injured’’ as there are still video clips and pictorial evidences to justify these claims.
Read also:NIGERIAN ARMY QUIVER OVER 30TH MAY HOLOCAUST AS AMNESTY REPORT IS BEING AWAITED
More in their report, the organization cited many more instances of killings and mass arrest of members and supporters of IPOB by the Nigerian army between August 2015 and May 2016 at Onitsha, Aba and other parts of the country.
In reaction to this report, the Nigerian army did not only dismiss the claims but accused Amnesty International of publishing a biased report. In a statement by the Army Public Relations, H.A. Gambo, he said ‘’The attention of 82 Division Nigerian Army has been drawn to insinuations of misdeed being leveled by Amnesty International against our security forces…. It is rather inconceivable for any individual or group to have decided to inundate the general public with an anecdote of unverified narratives in order to discredit the Nigerian Army in the course of carrying out its constitutional duties….’’
Read also:BREAKING: AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL REPORT ON NKPOR MASSACRE: Killing of unarmed pro-Biafra supporters by military must be urgently investigated:
It can be recalled that prior to the 30th May celebrations, IPOB sensitized Human Right bodies to be at the watched and revealed Buhari’s plans to unleash terror on Biafrans as it has established that the Nigerian army acted on presidential orders.
Anyone that advised the Nigerian army to respond to this report is either unschooled or not likely to be on their side because the report further exposed their nescient and barbaric approach to executing their duties as security agents.
In the Nigeria army’s report, (1) they accepted the fact that they killed.
(2) They claimed that IPOB was violent and that they reacted in self-defense which resulted to the deaths.
(3) They claimed that some settlers were killed and burnt, 2 personnel of the Nigerian police were killed, several soldiers wounded and police vehicle burnt down.
Read also:KIDNAPPING NNAMDI KANU DID NOT STOP BIAFRA: KILLING US WILL NOT STOP BIAFRA: BUHARI WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO?
Any intelligent investigation crew would ask:
(1) What are the best ways to disperse crowd as we have seen in the US in recent protests against the police killings, -Hong Kong in the pro-democracy movement, etc. –Why was there no public announcement to disperse? –What happened ‘’bean bags’’, ‘’teasers’’, ‘’hot water tanks’’ and ‘’non-lethal rubber bullets?
(2) If you met the above requirements, where are your evidences? As IPOB has provided undisputable evidences that proved otherwise.
(3) How did the army know who killed the so called ‘’settler’’?
(4) If they could, which court found them guilty? –Or does the military operate on jungle justice?
(5) If this jungle justice is the new way of operation, why did the army not react in the same manner when a 74 year old woman was killed by a radical muslim mob in Kano for alleged blasphemy? –Why did they not open fire on all the community residents in Kano to ‘’de-escalate the deteriorated security scenario in-situ’’? as claimed by Gambo.
(6)What is the reason behind the killing and taking corpse away?
(7) Why did you not deny these claims when they were published on national newspapers on the 31st of May 2016?
H.A. Gambo should bury his head in shame. Amnesty International Intelligence is far beyond his smartness. The evidences against him can only get stronger each time he attempts to deny them.
Read also:MARKUS ELDERER MUST BEWARE OF LEAHY'S LAW: THESE GERMAN MACHINES WOULD BE USED BY BOKO HARAM AGAINST BIAFRANS
According to Amnesty International report, ‘’there is still ongoing research into the violence and killing of IPOB members and supporters in South East Nigeria since January 2016. A comprehensive report will be published in the near future’’. M.K. Ibrahim, the country Director of Amnesty International Nigeria assured that ‘’These shootings, some of which may amount to extrajudicial executions, must be urgently and independently investigated and anyone suspected of criminal responsibility must be brought to justice’’.
To this end, the entire IPOB family and all her allies appreciate the efforts of Amnesty International to uphold justice for all. We are readily available to always provide any needed evidence required to further nail this report as we continue to exercise our right to self-determination as enshrined in the United Nations Act.
Written By Chinedu Ewulu
Published By Nwosu C.S
For Biafra Writers.