Top Social Icons

Responsive Full Width Ad

Left Sidebar
Left Sidebar
Featured News
Right Sidebar
Right Sidebar

Thursday, 13 August 2015

Dictator in Chief Buhari to Service Chiefs Defeat Boko Haram in three months

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the newlydecorated Service Chiefs to evolve a well-coordinated plan to end the Boko Haram menace within three months.

Such an articulated plan must also see to the elimination of militancy, banditry, kidnapping and any other form of violent crime.

The president, however, warned them against any resort to human rights violation, saying Nigeria’s military operations must be anchored within the framework of international rule of engagement.

Buhari’s order came barely 24 hours after the Chadian president, Idris Derby, expressed optimism that his troops alongside those of the Multinational Joint-Taskforce MNJTF would rein in the terrorists before December.

Security analysts believe that the sect has been sufficiently weakened, with Mr. Derby confirming the earlier stance of Nigeria’s security agencies that the sect’s spiritual leader, Abubakar Shekau, had been taken out.

Swearing in the Service Chiefs, Buhari said they must work in close collaboration with all stakeholders to achieve the set mandate.

The decorated Service Chiefs are General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin, Chief of Defence Staff; Lt-General T.Y. Buratai, Chief of Army Staff; Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, Chief of Naval Staff; and Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, Chief of Air Staff. Appointed on July 13, they were all confirmed by the Senate on August 4.

“The activities of these misguided groups and individuals have resulted in wanton destruction of lives and properties of our citizens as a disruption of socio-economic lives of millions of Nigerians.

“You need to brace up and continue to team up with other stakeholders to come up with a well coordinated joint effort which will bring a desired end to these insurgencies within three months,” Buhari who was assisted by his vice, Yemi Osinbajo, said.
Charging them to ensure commitment to the welfare of troops, he said they would at all times be held accountable for both men and equipment placed under their command while the operation lasts.

He however promised to avail the security forces all necessary support or resources. “Your troops’ welfare must be uppermost in your mind; take care of them and make available what is due to them,” he said.

The president also charged them to ensure strict adherence to military rules, saying discipline and professionalism must be maintained constantly.

He said: “You should also ensure that they abide with the newly enforced rules and relations of international standards while carrying out their assigned tasks.

“In particular, you must protect innocent civilians and respect the rights of combatants. This, no doubt will earn the support of local communities and the respect of our allies and support of international community.”

He said they must get back to work and make Nigerians proud. Since the insurgency began in 1999, over 19, 000 people, including women and children, have been reportedly killed.

Meanwhile, Nigerian Air Force, NAF, has deployed additional combat aircrafts to the North East, in support of the ongoing counterinsurgency operation.

A statement from the Headquarters, Nigerian Air Force, through its Director of Public Relations and Information, DOPRI, Air Commodore Dele Alonge, said that the deployment was in a renewed drive to crush the fighting will of the terrorist group.

The new deployment came on the heel of the recent visit of the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, to the operational areas.

“The newly deployed platforms include the F-7Ni fighter aircraft, Mi-24/35 attack helicopters, Agusta 109 LUH, Supa Puma Combat Support helicopter and ATR-42 surveillance aircraft which hitherto had been away for scheduled maintenance,” Alonge said.

He added that the provision of additional platforms in the North-East was in line with President Buhari’s mandate to bring an end to insurgency in the North- East.

“The new deployment is aimed at boosting existing military efforts to defeat the Boko Haram terrorists. It is also expected to enhance the capability of the Nigerian Armed Forces to fight in a more proactive and efficient manner,” he said.

No comments

Post a Comment

Responsive Full Width Ad

Copyright © 2016 The Biafra Times
Loading...